Many companies are looking into document management solutions. Not properly managing your documents can cause some serious problems.
Why are they looking?
Document management concerns – If they lose a file, it will need to be recreated. If they send the wrong file to the factory floor, it could cost them $ tens of thousands. A paper vault is prone to human error. Document management software makes it easy to find files.
Compliance – These days, most manufacturers strive to be ISO9001 compliant. This can be an expensive extra activity that is easily handled by PLM software
Ultimately, PLM software provides control and visibility. PLM software ensures that a document doesn’t get released unless all of the required approvals and signatures have taken place. PLM software doesn’t allow files to be deleted, they are versioned and controlled. Only users with permission can access documents. All of these actions are visible on the system.
PLM software provides an audit trail that makes compliance audits simple.
And, many other reasons…
What’s holding them back?
There are a lot of not so good PLM experiences that are being shared in the manufacturing community. Some of them are listed here:
- PLM projects get out of control.
- They take too long which leads to increased costs.
- Projects that take too long will result in disgruntled users and management.
- If any expensive project fails, it can cause people their jobs.
- A big project like PLM can scare off many companies.
It doesn’t have to be that way…
A few key steps you can take to increase your chance for a successful implementation…
- Learn as much as you can about your document management [PLM] alternatives before you purchase.
- Learn from people who have successfully implemented a PLM solution.
- Create a project plan that allows you to implement a solution within 6 months or so.
- Enlist a strong champion for this project.
- Enlist a strong project manager to keep the project on track.
I can help, contact me to learn more…