After gathering your requirements, here are some tips for your PLM implementation.
All of the successful PLM implementations that I have been involved with have had the following in common…
- They started with a vision for their solution.
If the world were perfect, what would your solution look like?
- They found a champion to lead them through the project.
This doesn’t have to be a VP, but they should be held in high regard.
- Paid attention to Company Politics.
They gained executive buy-in.
- They gathered their requirements for their PLM solution.
They cobbled the requirements into a requirements document.
- Managed to avoid scope creep.
A large killer of these kinds of projects is scope creep.
Make change requests move through a change process.
- Developed a comprehensive Project Plan.
Find a strong project manager.
- They recruited an active user group.
Gathered their input to the solution.
They had them do preliminary testing.
- Managed culture change.
Users will be using new software.
They may be dealing with procedure changes.
Change is difficult for some.
- Manage expectations
The champion should set realistic expectations.
Everyone is happy when expectations are met…
I will be hosting a focus group on the topic of understanding PLM requirements at PI PLMx in Fort Worth on 17 October @ 12:20 in room 4.
Go to this site if you would like to attend: http://events.pi.tv/2017/pi_usa/programme
I will have time for a meeting, contact me if you would like to meet.